Role: General Manager/Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to: BCM Directors/Owners and Safe Rise Scaffolding Group General Manager
Staff Reporting: All BCM management, scaffolding/labouring operative staff and agency workers
Overview – Member of the Safe Rise Scaffolding Group
BCM Scaffolding Services Limited is part of the Safe Rise Scaffolding Group (SRS), a newly created holding company and ‘brand’ that supports the acquisition of medium-sized scaffolding companies across the UK as part of a scaffolding industry roll-up strategy by the owners – Adèle McLay and David Hayde.
The vision of SRS is to be a leading supplier of scaffolding services to the construction industry throughout the UK. Rather than buying individual companies and changing their name to SRS, they will all remain trading under their original name, and will be a member of the Safe Rise Scaffolding Group.
The group and individual companies within it become renowned for ‘operating at the high end of better practice in the scaffolding industry’ with attention being placed on the following:
- Excellence in the execution of our work for clients, and the relentless review and improvement in all areas of our operations.
- Leading use of technology to support the efficiency and accuracy of our work for customers, and leading the way towards increasing industry standards through innovation.
- Consistently winning large scale and other important projects as testimony to the quality of our work for clients.
- Exemplary and leading edge standards of health and safety.
- Highly trained/skilled staff in all areas of the business – operatives and management.
- Strong financial foundations across all companies and within the group, giving clients comfort in our financial strength to support large projects.
- Strong individual business and group branding and marketing.
- Strong and accountable leaders across all areas of our business, supporting the delivery of our vision and values (see last page for company values).
Overview - BCM Scaffolding Services
BCM was purchased by SRS in November 2018, and is in the process of considerable transformation, in preparation for its business expansion and ongoing success. BCM is a highly successful company that was owned by the previous owner for +27 years, serving major building contractors within London and the M25, with many leading contracting firms as key clients.
The new owners have recognised the opportunity to substantially evolve the way in which the company (and scaffolding industry) does business, and is seeking to recruit a General Manager who will work in support of the vision the new owners have for the scaffolding industry.
The role of GM/CEO (we have yet to decide the title of the position) has many facets, including growing the revenue and profitability of BCM, while ensuring all projects undertaken for clients are completed according to contract (and agreed variations), on time (as best as BCM can control), within budget and professionally.
Key areas of responsibility are:
- To lead and support the growth and development of all staff/operatives in BCM, as SRS believes in ongoing training of people to help them to achieve in their careers.
- To have full financial accountability for delivering each year on the agreed revenue, COGS, gross profit, net profit and other targets.
- To substantially grow the business, using their London and other connections within the construction industry, demonstrating their experience and prowess in creating new business opportunities for the company.
- To support our contract and projects managers to ensure that all projects are planned and managed expertly and professionally, enhancing BCM’s brand as a leading scaffolding company.
- To overview and approve pricing of new tenders submitted to clients, variations and other pricing decisions needing to be made on won/tendered projects.
- To support the evolution and implementation of best practice and technology enhancements in the company and across other companies in the SRS Group.
- To be a member of the Safe Rise Scaffolding General Management/Leadership Group working together to ensure SRS is seen as a leading provider of scaffolding services across the UK via is various subsidiary companies.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong business and personal connections with leading managers across the construction sector in London and around the M25.
- Demonstrable experience in sales/business development/account management.
- Significant senior management experience in the construction industry.
- Significant experience in construction industry ensuring projects are properly contract and project managed to ensure client and company targets are achieved.
- Strong understanding of the scaffolding industry and how it connects with the wider construction industry.
- Strong leadership skills, and able to bring to life and lead the way with the company’s vision with staff and clients, and able to create a positive culture within a business.
- Strong and positive manager of people, harnessing their talents and guiding and supporting them towards achieving highly in their careers.
- Experience (ideally) in implementing construction/scaffolding industry technology, for instance, scaffolding industry ERP and CRM systems.
- Comfortable and experienced with the use of all forms of technology in the workplace – for instance providing handheld devices to field staff to support automation/efficiency of their work.
- Relentless focus on performance, operational and systems reviews and improvement to enhance the customers’ experiences of BCM’s work.
- Strong financial management skills and experience.
- Strong appreciation of the importance of individual company/group marketing and branding.
- Qualified and experienced in quantity surveying and a member of RICS.
- A willingness to learn new skills and tasks and share that knowledge with others in the team.
- An enthusiastic and friendly team player.
- Belief in yourself and an optimistic outlook on life. A desire to achieve highly in your role and career.
- Kindness, generosity of spirit, respectful of others.
- Fully embracing the BCM’s values and growth aspirations.
To apply for this role:
Please send your CV with a cover letter detailing your relevant experience to [email protected]
Applications close: Friday, 24 May 2019