Ad
Thursday, April 3, 2025
15.7 C
London

U.K. Edition

Scrapping of hard hat laws could lead to more deaths

- Advertisement -

Construction workers could be left without hard hats on sites after life-saving laws were scrapped last week.

This is the warning from leaders of the union UCATT who are concerned that the end of head protection regulations could lead to construction firms skimping on safety equipment.hard hats

The head protection laws were scrapped from last Saturday (6th April) after the Lofstedt Review which recommended their deletion.

Ucatt argued against the deletion of the regulations and said the previous law had seen the average number of construction workers dying as a result of a head injury fall from 48 a year to 14 a year.

Steve Murphy, General Secretary of UCATT  said: “Construction workers are being placed in danger by the scrapping of these regulations.

“Many construction companies will use the scrapping of the regulations as an excuse not to provide life-saving protective equipment.”

But the HSE insisted the change would not jeopardise site safety standards.

Contractors will still need to comply with the Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 1992 which have been amended so that they cover the provision and use of head protection on construction sites.

The HSE said: “These changes do not compromise essential health and safety protections. The aim is to make the legislative framework simpler and clearer.

“HSE is taking action to raise awareness of the changes.

“This includes working with the construction industry (particularly small contractors) to ensure that it understands the continuing need for employers to provide hard hats and ensure they are worn on construction sites.

“Hard hats remain vital in protecting construction workers from head injuries.

But Murphy added: “It is highly distressing that the HSE is failing to take proactive measures to ensure that workers are not placed in danger.

“Hoping that the construction industry will send out a message is a complete abdication of the HSE’s responsibilities.

“Workers who are being placed in danger need to be told whether this is a result of HSE policy, as a result of a lack of resources or because of Government intervention.”

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below

- Advertisement -

Popular this week >

NASC and SAA Unite to Boost Global Scaffolding Standards

In a landmark move for the global scaffolding industry,...

Pilosio to Unveil Pioneering Scaffolding and Formwork Solutions at Bauma 2025

Italian construction solutions specialist Pilosio will unveil an extensive...

TRAD UK Hits £30,000 in Annual Fundraising Challenge

The company raised target three times as employees and...

Doka Unveils Cutting-Edge Innovations Ahead of Bauma 2025

Austrian formwork and scaffolding giant Doka is preparing to...

Avontus Employee to Run London Half Marathon in Honour of Loved Ones

An employee at scaffolding software company Avontus is preparing...
- Advertisements -

Related Articles >

Scaffolding Company Hit with £30,000 Fine Over Safety Lapses

A Merseyside scaffolding company has been fined £30,800 after an investigation found workers had been using an unsafe scaffold at a construction site in Merseyside. A.I.M Access Solutions Ltd, based in Kirkby, was prosecuted...

Latest Topics

360 Degrees Consultancy Wins Top Industry Award

360 Degrees Consultancy Ltd has been crowned Consultancy of...

AT-PAC Strengthens U.S. Team with Key Appointment

Scaffolding systems provider AT-PAC has appointed seasoned industry figure...

Avontus Employee to Run London Half Marathon in Honour of Loved Ones

An employee at scaffolding software company Avontus is preparing...

Pilosio to Unveil Pioneering Scaffolding and Formwork Solutions at Bauma 2025

Italian construction solutions specialist Pilosio will unveil an extensive...
- Advertisement -

Popular Categories