Jamie Mines, Image credit: mirror.co.uk

Jamie Mines on the mend following scaffolding nightmare

Scaffolder Jamie Mines who lost both arms and a leg following a massive electric shock on a five metre high scaffold has been allowed home from hospital.

The 33-year-old dad of two and talented lower league footballer from Somerset, has spent six months recovering following his horrific injuries sustained while helping construct the scaffolding.

Jamie was taken to Southmead Hospital just two weeks before Christmas after the accident at Kendrick Industrial Estate on Galton Way in Swindon.

The injuries were so severe he was placed into an induced coma and also lost the toes on his remaining leg. His girlfriend Harley Ware kept a bedside vigil as he lay in a serious condition while friends set up a fundraising page to support his young family.

She revealed: “After being told of his electric shock my heart sunk. It just kept getting worse. It seemed every time I’d get a phone call was to tell me that he’d have another limb removed. I couldn’t stop crying all week, each time something else had happened. But the overwhelming support for Jamie from strangers around the world kept him going.”

Electrocuted Scaffolder
Jamie receiving specialist amputee care, image credit: mirror.co.uk

Jamie underwent an intensive rehabilitation receiving specialist amputee care, and was given the very best prosthetics the south west had to offer. Described as ‘a goal machine’ during his career with Frome Town FC, his plight soon reached the ears of Stars including football legend Alan Shearer, boxer Joe Calzaghe and old school pal Jenson Button amongst others.

An appeal raised more than £142,000. Hayley added: “The money will be used for any treatments Jamie needs such as prosthetics and help with day to day life.”

And now, Jamie can finally be with his twin baby girls Isabella and Savannah, who were five-months-old when he was admitted to hospital. Jamie admitted to, ‘feeling blessed’. The Health and Safety Executive are still investigating the incident at Kendrick Industrial Estate in Swindon, Wilts.