A quick-thinking scaffolder has been hailed as a hero after saving the life of a toddler who was choking on a 2p coin.
Plymouth scaffolder Lewis Everson who was erecting scaffolding on a block of flats in the town, ‘sprang into action’ when he heard a mum screaming for help and saw two-year-old Isabelle Hill choking.
Isabelle’s mum, Jordane Hersey had run out of her block of flats screaming after Isabelle had got hold of some loose change and tried to swallow a coin, reports Plymouth Live.
Lewis quickly climbed down from the scaffold, undid his tool belt and took Isabelle into his lap, where he hit her back several times, dislodging the coin. Lewis’ workmate Mathew rang for an ambulance and both waited for paramedics to attend.
Jordane Hersey told local journalists: “We were making cakes in the kitchen and Isabelle got hold of some loose change. She put a coin in her mouth and tried to swallow it. I tried hitting her back and my older child couldn’t find my phone so I started panicking. I went to the door screaming for help.
“Lewis and Matthew were there. Lewis gave her a good hit on the back while Matthew rang for an ambulance. I am so thankful they were there and did what they did. They said they did nothing but I know Lewis was shaken up afterwards. He was very modest.”
“I lost a son at 17 months old six years ago and it brought it all back,” she added.
Scaffolder, Lewis, has said he was ‘shaken’ after the incident but was glad he had completed his first aid training.
He said: “There were a few of us. We heard some screaming and didn’t know where it was coming from. We ran over and saw the baby choking. I grabbed her and put her on my lap and whacked her back hard a couple of times. She was choking on a 2p coin.
“It all happened so quickly. The baby was okay – she just had a big hand-print on her back!”
“I was a bit shaken up. I had to sit in my car afterwards. I just thought it could have been my own son – he’s only a few months older than this baby. I’ve done first aid training and you don’t forget it.” he added.
Lewis’ boss at Drake Scaffolding, Shane Radmore said: “Lewis has done First Aid with us and other companies. He’s a nice lad. Lots of people would have panicked. He has a young child himself so it was probably instinct to help out.”