Safety Reset Called on Major Queensland Rail Project After Scaffolders Serious Fall

ADVERTISEMENT

The Transport Minister of Queensland, Mark Bailey, has demanded a comprehensive “safety reset” at the largest public transport project in the state, the $6.3bn Cross River Rail project, following an accident where a scaffolder fell from scaffolding.

Work on the project came to a halt on Wednesday as thousands of workers united in a walk-off, protesting for improved safety measures. The union action was triggered by an accident on Tuesday that resulted in Nation Kouka, a 54-year-old scaffolder, falling approximately 12 metres at the Dutton Park site of the project.

Kouka is currently in critical condition at Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Bailey stated that the incident has significantly impacted his confidence in the project’s safety measures. “There’s no doubt that this is a wake-up call. We’ve got to take the opportunity to make sure that this is the one and only incident,” he said on Wednesday.

The minister acknowledged the worries of workers and expressed his empathy. He commented, “If I was working on this project, I’d be concerned. No doubt about that.”

Investigations into the incident have been launched by both Queensland police and Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

The Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) has claimed that this is not an isolated incident, and the project site has seen multiple safety concerns. The union’s state secretary, Michael Ravbar, said that there had been numerous safety incidents, including previous falls and near misses.

More than 300 safety enforcement notices have been issued for the Cross River Rail project, some of which were associated with fines.

Ravbar criticised the handling of the safety issues and demanded Bailey’s resignation over the incident, saying, “Safety-wise, it’s probably the worst I’ve seen in my time, and I’ve been around a bit.”

Bailey countered the union’s allegations, maintaining that he wasn’t aware of any previous employee fall on the project. He said, “This is one of the bigger construction projects across the country so safety issues will come up from time to time. Whenever we’re aware of them, we move to act on them as quickly as we can.”

A spokesperson for the Cross River Rail Authority reinforced the importance of safety at the site and said work would not resume until Workplace Health and Safety Queensland and the onsite contractor deems it appropriate.

The rail project, due for completion in 2026, now faces an uncertain timeline as workers remain off-site and safety inspections take place.

Most popular ↑

Hull scaffolding firm saved after difficult trading period

A Hull-based scaffolding firm has been saved after The...

PHD Access plays key role in latest HMS Victory conservation phase

PHD Access is playing a central role in the...

Australian scaffolding body warns Kwikform collapse exposes subcontractor risks

Australia’s scaffolding trade body has said the voluntary administration...

ScaffChamp 2026 confirms global live stream details

ScaffChamp powered by Layher 2026 will once again be...

Trade earnings lag inflation as site activity slows

Average weekly earnings for self-employed construction trades rose by...

Latest news

Safety Reset Called on Major Queensland Rail Project After Scaffolders Serious Fall

ADVERTISEMENT

The Transport Minister of Queensland, Mark Bailey, has demanded a comprehensive “safety reset” at the largest public transport project in the state, the $6.3bn Cross River Rail project, following an accident where a scaffolder fell from scaffolding.

Work on the project came to a halt on Wednesday as thousands of workers united in a walk-off, protesting for improved safety measures. The union action was triggered by an accident on Tuesday that resulted in Nation Kouka, a 54-year-old scaffolder, falling approximately 12 metres at the Dutton Park site of the project.

Kouka is currently in critical condition at Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Bailey stated that the incident has significantly impacted his confidence in the project’s safety measures. “There’s no doubt that this is a wake-up call. We’ve got to take the opportunity to make sure that this is the one and only incident,” he said on Wednesday.

The minister acknowledged the worries of workers and expressed his empathy. He commented, “If I was working on this project, I’d be concerned. No doubt about that.”

Investigations into the incident have been launched by both Queensland police and Workplace Health and Safety Queensland.

The Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) has claimed that this is not an isolated incident, and the project site has seen multiple safety concerns. The union’s state secretary, Michael Ravbar, said that there had been numerous safety incidents, including previous falls and near misses.

More than 300 safety enforcement notices have been issued for the Cross River Rail project, some of which were associated with fines.

Ravbar criticised the handling of the safety issues and demanded Bailey’s resignation over the incident, saying, “Safety-wise, it’s probably the worst I’ve seen in my time, and I’ve been around a bit.”

Bailey countered the union’s allegations, maintaining that he wasn’t aware of any previous employee fall on the project. He said, “This is one of the bigger construction projects across the country so safety issues will come up from time to time. Whenever we’re aware of them, we move to act on them as quickly as we can.”

A spokesperson for the Cross River Rail Authority reinforced the importance of safety at the site and said work would not resume until Workplace Health and Safety Queensland and the onsite contractor deems it appropriate.

The rail project, due for completion in 2026, now faces an uncertain timeline as workers remain off-site and safety inspections take place.

Popular Categories

Latest posts

CSCS Smart Check upgrade to improve workforce skills data

CSCS has upgraded its Smart Check platform to collect more detailed data from construction sites, in a move aimed at improving workforce planning and...

Scaffolder running length of Britain for children’s cancer charity

A Portsmouth scaffolder has begun an 860-mile charity run from John O’Groats to Land’s End to raise money for families affected by neuroblastoma. Charlie Chandler,...

Global access sector marks first industry awareness day

The scaffolding and access industry is today marking the first International Scaffolding and Access Day. The new annual event, launched by the International Access and...

Trade earnings lag inflation as site activity slows

Average weekly earnings for self-employed construction trades rose by just 2.3% year on year in April, as demand for skilled labour slowed across England...

Hull scaffolding firm saved after difficult trading period

A Hull-based scaffolding firm has been saved after The Yorkshire Maintenance Co stepped in to secure the future of the business and its 22...

PHD Access plays key role in latest HMS Victory conservation phase

PHD Access is playing a central role in the latest phase of the HMS Victory conservation programme at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, delivering the specialist...

ScaffCycle relaunches used scaffolding marketplace

ScaffCycle has relaunched its online marketplace for used scaffolding after rebuilding the platform to make it easier for contractors, scaffolders and suppliers to buy,...

ScaffChamp 2026 confirms global live stream details

ScaffChamp powered by Layher 2026 will once again be broadcast live to the global scaffolding community. The official live stream will begin on 6 June...

Australian scaffolding body warns Kwikform collapse exposes subcontractor risks

Australia’s scaffolding trade body has said the voluntary administration of the Kwikform group highlights wider concerns over subcontractor exposure and payment risk across the...

HAKI CEO Sverker Lindberg to step down by 2027

HAKI Safety has confirmed that its President and CEO, Sverker Lindberg, will leave his position no later than April 2027. The company said Lindberg has...

Spring Issue #29 | Past issues >>

Latest topics

Most popular ⚡︎

Hull scaffolding firm saved after difficult trading period

A Hull-based scaffolding firm has been saved after The...

PHD Access plays key role in latest HMS Victory conservation phase

PHD Access is playing a central role in the...

Australian scaffolding body warns Kwikform collapse exposes subcontractor risks

Australia’s scaffolding trade body has said the voluntary administration...

ScaffChamp 2026 confirms global live stream details

ScaffChamp powered by Layher 2026 will once again be...

Trade earnings lag inflation as site activity slows

Average weekly earnings for self-employed construction trades rose by...

Related articles

ADVERTISEMENTS
More from
Latest articles

CITB apprenticeship support rises by 43% in latest year

CITB’s New Entrant Support Team helped 5,913 apprentices join the construction industry during the...

CSCS Smart Check upgrade to improve workforce skills data

CSCS has upgraded its Smart Check platform to collect more detailed data from construction...

Scaffolder running length of Britain for children’s cancer charity

A Portsmouth scaffolder has begun an 860-mile charity run from John O’Groats to Land’s...

Global access sector marks first industry awareness day

The scaffolding and access industry is today marking the first International Scaffolding and Access...

Trade earnings lag inflation as site activity slows

Average weekly earnings for self-employed construction trades rose by just 2.3% year on year...

Hull scaffolding firm saved after difficult trading period

A Hull-based scaffolding firm has been saved after The Yorkshire Maintenance Co stepped in...