Ad
Saturday, February 21, 2026

Costs climb again on Manchester Town Hall project as delays worsen

ADVERTISEMENT

The cost of restoring Manchester Town Hall has risen by a further £95m, with completion now pushed back to spring 2027. The Grade I-listed project was originally due to finish in summer 2024.

Manchester City Council confirmed that the overall budget has increased to £524.8m. This is 59 per cent higher than the initial £330m allocation set when work began.

The council said the scheme had been affected by a “unique combination” of pressures. These include a shortage of specialist heritage labour, continued materials and labour cost inflation, and a series of subcontractor collapses.

Three unnamed subcontractors working on key packages have entered administration in the past six months. The council said the complexity of the 148-year-old building meant delays to one element of work often caused wider disruption across the programme.

Lendlease was appointed as main contractor in 2019. The job is now being delivered under the revived Bovis name after Lendlease’s UK construction arm was sold to Atlas Holdings.

Deputy council leader Garry Bridges said the project had “navigated a stream of challenges”. He acknowledged frustration over rising costs but argued that failing to intervene would have risked the building becoming “unusable and obsolete”.

The council reported last year that costs had already grown by nearly £100m due to hyperinflation, subcontractor claims and unexpected conservation work, including the presence of nesting falcons.

The latest funding increase will need approval from the council’s executive committee on 10 December. The additional money will be met through borrowing.

Bridges said the project was now on a “confident path” to completion in 2027 and would be ready for the 150th anniversary of the town hall’s original opening. He added that the restored building would serve the city “for the next 100 years”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Popular Categories

Latest news

Band of Builders releases six-month project list to boost volunteer support

Construction charity Band of Builders has released a six-month schedule of upcoming projects, aimed at encouraging tradespeople to commit time in advance. The registered charity...

Brace Yourself podcast launches with aim to lift scaffolding’s global voice

A new scaffolding-focused podcast has launched today with a clear ambition: to raise the profile of the industry while keeping conversations engaging and accessible. The...

IASA launches annual International Scaffolding and Access Day

The International Access & Scaffolding Association has formally launched International Scaffolding and Access Day, which will be celebrated each year on 14 May. The initiative...

Bilfinger wins long-term scaffolding services deal with Sweden’s Söderenergi

Bilfinger has signed a long-term framework agreement with Söderenergi AB to deliver scaffolding services across the Swedish district heating producer’s facilities. The companies said the...

NASC and CISRS expand globally with Malaysia national deal

The National Access & Scaffolding Confederation and Construction Industry Scaffolders Record Scheme have signed their first-ever national licensing agreement with an entire country, marking...

NASC President David Brown takes on IASA Chair role

The International Access and Scaffolding Association (IASA) has announced the appointment of David Brown as its new Chairman. The appointment follows the death of former...

umdasch Industrial Solutions expands global scaffolding footprint with Catari acquisition

umdasch Industrial Solutions (UIS) has acquired Catari in a move that accelerates its ambition to create a leading global scaffolding group. The acquisition, announced today,...

AFIX Group secures German approval and opens new branch near Munich

AFIX Group has taken a significant step in its European growth strategy with the opening of a new German subsidiary and the award of...

Twenty teams confirmed for ScaffChamp 2026 in Vilnius

ScaffChamp powered by Layher has confirmed all 20 teams for its 2026 competition, following nearly five months of registrations and enquiries from around the...

Safety crackdown follows boy’s death caused by unsecured scaffolding

New safety standards covering the transport of scaffolding and other construction materials have been introduced following the death of a schoolboy killed by an...

Latest news

Magazine

Winter Issue #28 | Past issues >>

Popular

IASA launches annual International Scaffolding and Access Day

The International Access & Scaffolding Association has formally launched...

Brace Yourself podcast launches with aim to lift scaffolding’s global voice

A new scaffolding-focused podcast has launched today with a...

Bilfinger wins long-term scaffolding services deal with Sweden’s Söderenergi

Bilfinger has signed a long-term framework agreement with Söderenergi...

NASC and CISRS expand globally with Malaysia national deal

The National Access & Scaffolding Confederation and Construction Industry...

Subcontractor pay dips as weather hits sites but wider pressures loom

Self-employed tradespeople earned an average of £1,000 per week...

Related articles

Latest topics

Subcontractor pay dips as weather hits sites but wider pressures loom

Self-employed tradespeople earned an average of £1,000 per week...

Band of Builders releases six-month project list to boost volunteer support

Construction charity Band of Builders has released a six-month...

Brace Yourself podcast launches with aim to lift scaffolding’s global voice

A new scaffolding-focused podcast has launched today with a...

IASA launches annual International Scaffolding and Access Day

The International Access & Scaffolding Association has formally launched...
ADVERTISEMENTS